Exchange 2010 – DAG – Failed Content Indexes

Scenario

While in the porcess of moving Active Mailbox databases to another server within the DAG, for the purpose of deploying security updates, I noticed that one of my servers was reporting that the content indexes were in a ‘Failed’ state for one server.  After reading up on the issue and looking for solutions I came across a few sites and they all said the same thing.  Using Powershell, you can identify the mailbox databases that have a failed content index state by running the following command

With the results from the command above I was able to continue.  So, after reading a little more on different sites I noticed that the same solution was posted up.

Solution

Using the powershell command below you could fix the problem (the solution below will fix all the identifed ‘Failed’ content indexes).

So, before I kicked off the command I had a thought. I restarted the “Microsoft Exchange Search Indexer” service on the server in question and when it had restarted I ran a ‘Get-MailboxDatabaseCopyStatus’ and it had fixed my problem.  It cleared all the failed states of content indexes. So, I avoided the ‘Update-MialboxDatabaseCopy -CatalogOnly’ command.

Just though it would be worth a mention.

2 comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *