SEP client definitions not reporting in SEPM

Issue

Over the past few weeks I have been looking at my SEP clients’ definitions on my SEPM server.  I noticed that one server was reporting that no definitions were installed.  After logging onto the server in question I could see that definitions were indeed up to date but the client wasn’t reporting back to the SEPM.  From the client system I tried t stop and restart the Symantec Management Console   ‘smc.exe -stop’ but this failed to stop the process.

Symptoms

  • SEPM reporting definition not installed
  • Client definitions up to date but cannot stop SMC using ‘smc.exe -stop’
  • Restarting the server doesn’t fix the issue

Solution

Download the latest virus definitions from the Symantec website.  Run the update on the client, even though the definitions are up to date – this will fix the issue of reporting back to the SEPM server.  When the update is successful, stop SMC using ‘smc.exe -stop’.  Check that the service has indeed stopped (don’t worry if it is in a stopping state, be patient).  When it has completely stopped, start the SMC again on the client by running ‘smc.exe -start’

Now go back to your SEPM admin console and confirm that correct definitions are reporting back from the client.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *