Over the past few weeks I have been looking at my SEP clients’ definitions on my SEPM server. I noticed that one server was reporting that no definitions were installed. After logging onto the server in question I could see that definitions were indeed up to date but the client wasn’t reporting back to the SEPM. From the client system I tried t stop and restart the Symantec Management Console ‘smc.exe -stop’ but this failed to stop the process.
- SEPM reporting definition not installed
- Client definitions up to date but cannot stop SMC using ‘smc.exe -stop’
- Restarting the server doesn’t fix the issue
Download the latest virus definitions from the Symantec website. Run the update on the client, even though the definitions are up to date – this will fix the issue of reporting back to the SEPM server. When the update is successful, stop SMC using ‘smc.exe -stop’. Check that the service has indeed stopped (don’t worry if it is in a stopping state, be patient). When it has completely stopped, start the SMC again on the client by running ‘smc.exe -start’
Now go back to your SEPM admin console and confirm that correct definitions are reporting back from the client.